Obverse: An Effigy of the head of the Sovereign. 36mm in diameter.
Reverse: Ornately decorated, at the top is the Royal Crown and below this are the words "FOR LONG SERVICE IN THE COLONIAL AUXILIARY FORCES".
Size: 36mm in diameter.
Ribbon: 32mm wide, the ribbon is dark green.
Suspension: By a plain straight swiveling suspender.
The Colonial Auxiliary Forces Long Service Medal was instituted by Queen Victoria in a Royal Warrant on 18 May 1899 and amended by further Warrants dated 3 August 1902 and 25 January 1923. It was authorised in the New Zealand Gazette No. 33 on 1 May 1902.
It was awarded to officers and other ranks of the New Zealand Volunteer Force, and later the New Zealand Territorial Forces, who had completed 20 years service. The award was superseded on 23 September 1931 by The New Zealand Efficiency Medal.
A total of 504 medals were awarded.
Click on thumbnail
for larger image